Sunday, April 22, 2012

slow dance music by tom c. hunley

  

Hey. Read this.

Slow Dance Music by Tom C. Hunley

I can’t explain the rain’s attraction to my head,
though I’m touched by its will to touch me,
and I don’t understand how I got here any more
than a lobster understands how it ended up in a tank
next to a Please Wait To Be Seated sign,
but both of us can read the faces of the cruelly beautiful
women pointing at us. I always feel eyes on me so
I apologize to insects after I kill them
and to the salmon on my plate, caught being
nostalgic for home. Everything makes sense if
you squint just right, and at least once a day
I realize that whatever I’ve been saying
isn’t the point at all. Like yesterday, I heard myself
say “Nostalgia” comes from Greek roots meaning
“painful return,” which is why your childhood
home is paved over, a bump in the commuter
path of your old classmates, the ones who have
never gone anywhere. And so instead of leaning
in for a kiss, I give my beautiful wife the umpire’s
signal for “safe.” And when I say “I love you”
she becomes red-faced, hits me with the back
of her fists, and calls the cops, because those
words no longer mean what they once did.




..I'm very obsessed with it. Poetry is cool.


This has been The Devastation Diaries.
(And Tom C. Hunley)

  
 

2 comments:

  1. Nostalgia: painful return.

    This morning in class we listened to the Willy Wonka soundtrack. I was happy. But I was sad.

    I'm starting to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, I love that picture. So much.

    Also, very good poem. Instant obsession.

    ReplyDelete