Monday, February 6, 2012

this is a love poem



Driftwood love, and it washes up in the grit of low-tide. "That's love alright, you can tell by the footprints". Love has little footprints like some extinct thing, like it's a miracle every time it walks. Face like a glass of whiskey, voice like a foghorn. Love has the softest skin.

Love is a new cancer, but love is more like a taste (salt?). But it's more like the instinct to run or fight with your bare fists. Yes, love is more like a bribe. Oh yes, love is more like the dust on the top shelf.
 
So maybe I don't know a lot about what love is but I do know a lot about what love is not.

Love isn't the crusts cut off, love isn't stuck to flypaper in the heat of July. Love is not kind. And love is not unkind.

Love is not the soft, kitten skin of the pink rosebud; it's not even the thorns, nor the unquenchable hunger of the sun-soaked leaves---what's it called again? photosynthesis---it's not the stem (no, of course love isn't the stem). Love is the roots. Love lives in the dirt, love is thirsty and no matter how much MiracleGrow you beg from the hands of the kneeling gardener, love is still thirsty. And then all at once: love is very easy to drown in your haste to water the plants before your 2:00 appointment to meet someone somewhere---it could be anyone---but there, you've done it, you've drowned the cactus, you've murdered the marigolds, you've let love's lungs fill with water (because love, you poor fool, cannot swim), but that's fine, everything's fine: you'll make it on time, 2:00 sharp.

This is a love poem. It goes: L for lobotomy, O for the occipital lobe, V for vendetta, E for the color that eggplant is (the color that your bedspread is). Love drank too much, yeah, love is sobering up.

I know another word for "love". It's "karma". Love is the way you run over a cat in your truck, and someday: the way you get hit by a truck. Love goes around and love comes around; you pour love a cup of tea and I swear, love pours you a cup of tea. If you wake up in the middle of the night shouting, "All's fair in love and war!", then love will bring you the TV remote and the pistol, because love won't know which one it is this time: LOVE or WAR?

We all find love in the unlikeliest of galaxies: me in a death threat, you in a blister pack, I know a girl who swears love was the anvil that fell from the sky and broke her neck. Maybe we don't fall in love, maybe we jump for it. You were easy to forgive, but not to thank.

The truth is, I'm seventeen-years-old and I don't remember heaven and I don't remember hell, so I have no idea where I came from. I've got one-tenth of the truth and I've got growing pains and the only word I know how to sing is "love". I love you, that's the truth, too. Whoever you are, you're skin and you're blood and I love that about you. You're so sincere: I love that about you.




This has been The Devastation Diaries.







18 comments:

  1. "Maybe we don't fall in love, maybe we jump for it. You were easy to forgive, but not to thank.

    The truth is, I'm seventeen-years-old and I don't remember heaven and I don't remember hell, so I have no idea where I came from. I've got one-tenth of the truth and I've got growing pains and the only word I know how to sing is "love"."

    I love this so much I can't even tell you. This is genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the part about karma. It comes around and goes around. Also the hearts every where remind me of the video Nelson showed us in class.

      Delete
  2. If you wake up in the middle of the night shouting, "All's fair in love and war!", then love will bring you the TV remote and the pistol, because love won't know which one it is this time: LOVE or WAR?

    This is my favorite line. It's like hearing the words of plato or Socrates. This blog is one of my favorites because it makes you think, it's unpredictable, and it's way far out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive. i love that you are not afraid to tell it how it is. "If you wake up in the middle of the night shouting, "All's fair in love and war!", then love will bring you the TV remote and the pistol, because love won't know which one it is this time: LOVE or WAR?" i really liked this because really, half the time we don't even know which one it is. are we truely in love? or Are we at war with are selfs? at war with the fact that we are not in love. you have an incredible voice in your writing can wait to see what comes next. good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame that too many people see a post this long and click backspace. They don't know what they missed. I almost did too.

    There's too much to love about this post. I'll just talk about a couple.

    You took a cliche (L is for...O is for...) and you did something fresh with it. That's difficult. I laughed and cringed and felt something and finally thought of the color of my bedspread all in the same paragraph.

    You are one of the few who can write something that can exist on a page and be performed as a slam poem. There aren't many writers who can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and the English teacher in me came out (he's buried somewhere deep) when I read your last few lines. I thought: no way did she mess this up your vs. you're...

    But then I realized you didn't mess it up. It's one thing to talk about someone's blood and skin, but no...you called them blood and skin. Holy heaven.

    I'm going to leave you alone and start reading other posts now, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That's all that I can think of to say. Is wow. I wish with all my heart that I could write like you do. I can't believe that I even just read that! I can't even type my brain is so focused on what I just read! I've hit the backspace at least ten times already. AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Love lives in the dirt, love is thirsty and no matter how much MiracleGrow you beg from the hands of the kneeling gardener, love is still thirsty" Your writing is insane and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, "Love is Karma."

    ...Everything makes sense now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. you put everyone else to shame. i mean i never try to write like this... soley cuz i know i cant.... but holy crap this is insaaaaaaaaane! everyone else who DOES try to write like this is def put to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  10. and i stole the line, "love is karma" for my journal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah,its just so good.

    The second to last paragraph,
    is a particular favorite of mine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah man, this is too good. I just want to read it over and over again...
    It makes you think and feel and breathe and....
    YES.
    I can't even choose my favorite lines because the whole thing was so damn good.
    Thank you, and goodnight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg. For reals right now. This is unreal. I want to go to open mic again. Right now.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woah man, i thought this was amazing, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I come back to this post very often. It's something that gets me every time. Thanks for helping me feel so much and inspiring a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete